So you want to link to Teranova? take a read of this document and if you're still interested proceed to the application form.
The first step is to get to know your future colleagues. Every administrator on this network has an equal vote in network decisions, so we're not very likely to accept a complete stranger. Take some time to hang around in #Teranova and #help, speak with staff, help users and make yourself familiar with the way this network is run. You might also visit other official channels which you can find listed in various server MOTDs.
Of course, there's the technical part of the application. Your server should be available 24/7, with a stable connection and enough bandwidth available to IRCd. You should also make sure that our IRCd runs properly on the operating system of your choice. We run InspIRCd 1.2 you can find this on Inspircd website.
Once this is complete, doublecheck the requirements listed below and fill in the form at the bottom of this page. Then send the application to our coordinator at
. After making sure all requirements are met the applications team will start the linking process by sending a call for discussion (CFD) to the other members of staff. You will be contacted by our staff to testlink the server, and some tests will be performed to estimate its performance and stability during this period. The process will be concluded by a staff vote. During this period all current members of staff will cast their vote, and the results will be announced on the mailinglist. When a majority votes in favour of your server, your testlink will be converted to a permanent one.
Now, for a little more formal list of requirements:
General Server Requirements:
1. Your server must be available for the long term.
2. Your nickname must have been registered for at least 2 months.
3. You must have ports 6660-6670, 6697, 7000 and 9999 open to the world for client connections and 10000 for server connections.
4. You must be able to accept SSL connections for SSL encrypted traffic.
5. Client servers must be capable of supporting at least 500 concurrent clients.
6. You must be able to compile our IRCd server software (currently UnrealIRCd 188.8.131.52) on your server. This requires POSIX compliance. Linux with a 2.6 kernel is strongly recommended.
7. You must have a stable time base, either through ntpd or an other solution.
8. You should not have other high bandwidth tasks running on the machine, such as an IRC daemon on a competing network, or a high traffic ftp or rsync mirror).
Technical Server Requirements:
1. At least 256MB RAM for a dedicated machine. In the case that this is a virtual machine, the guest must have access to at least 256MB of ram. More will be required in the case that the machine handles other tasks.
2. At least 3mbit of internet bandwidth, preferably with multiple uplinks or a Tier 1 backbone uplink.
3. If you are using virtualization software, we require proof of a stable timebase.
4. You should be able to run at least 2 background processes.
(While not strictly requirements, these are strongly recommended to make things easier for both you and us).
1. A modern processor is strongly recommended for ease of replacing parts in case of failure.
2. You should be comfortable compiling and configuring software on your machine with minimal assistance. In most cases, other admins and most opers will be able to assist you, but the final responsibility to make things go is yours.
3. You should be familiar with our policies and some of our staff, server admins are preferable.
4. You should understand how to update your machine to patch exploits, or make sure the root user does. As an IRC server, your machine will be somewhat high-profile and a target for attempted exploits.
Please do not proceed with this application until you have fulfilled these requirements. Failure to do so will lead to your application being rejected.
continue with the application form...